Configure a Reporting Service server¶
The Sitecore Reporting Service fetches reporting data from various data sources, for example, the collection and reporting databases, to use in Sitecore reporting applications, such as Experience Analytics. The Reporting Service can run on a server alongside other server features or independently on a dedicated server.
In the reporting architecture, the Reporting Service sits between the reporting applications and the rest of the Sitecore Experience Database (xDB) architecture and handles the processing of all your report queries.
- xDB Cloud configuration – if you are running xDB Cloud edition then configure your Reporting Service environment according to this topic and the instructions for configuring xDB Cloud.
Synchronize all servers to a single reliable time source, for example, by means of the Network Time Protocol (NTP). The aggregation of engagement automation states depends on the system time and changing this can lead to incorrect aggregation results or loss of data.
In order to install a Sitecore server, you must:
- Ensure that you have read the hardware guidelines for Sitecore Hosting Environment Requirements and Sitecore Client Requirements sections from Installation Guide 9.0. You can download the guide from the Sitecore Downloads page.
- Install a Sitecore instance using the Sitecore Installation Framework according to the instructions in the Installation Guide 9.0.
When you use the Sitecore Installation Framework to install the server, you do not need to configure the server and the connections manually. The Sitecore Installation Framework performs the following steps automatically.
In order to configure a Reporting Service server manually, you must:
- Use rule-based configuration to configure the server to fulfill only the reporting role by including this line in the web.config file:
<add key="role:define" value="Reporting" />
- Ensure the following connection strings are set in the \App_Config\ConnectionStrings.config file:
|reporting.apikey||Unique string||If you are using a dedicated Reporting Service or processing server.|
- Open the \App_Config\ConnectionStrings.config file and configure the reporting API key:
<add name="reporting.apikey" connectionString="a0123456789abcdefghijklmn9876543210z" />
Please submit documentation feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org.