When you send an email campaign, the Email Experience Manager (EXM) creates an interaction in the Sitecore Experience Database (xDB) for each of the following email events:
- Sent – one interaction for every sent email message.
- Opened – one interaction when a contact opens an email message.
- Clicked – one interaction when a contact clicks a link in the email message.
- Bounced – one interaction when an email message bounces.
- Unsubscribed – one interaction when a contact unsubscribes from an email message.
- Spam – one interaction when a contact marks the email message as spam.
To avoid duplicate interactions in xDB, only one interaction is created if a contact opens an email message more than once within a short interval. The interval is specified in the
EXM.DuplicateProtectionInterval setting in the
Sitecore.EmailExperience.ContentDelivery.config file. The default value is 300 seconds.