When you send an email campaign, the Email Experience Manager (EXM) creates an interaction in the Sitecore Experience Database (xDB) for each of the following email events:
- Sent – one interaction for every sent email message.
- Opened – one interaction when a contact opens an email message.
- Clicked – one interaction when a contact clicks a link in the email message.
- Bounced – one interaction when an email message bounces.
- Unsubscribed – one interaction when a contact unsubscribes from an email message.
- Spam – one interaction when a contact marks the email message as spam.
- Dispatch failed – one interaction when an email message could not be sent to the MTA, for example, because of an invalid email address.
To avoid duplicate interactions in xDB, only one interaction is created if a contact opens an email message more than once within a short interval. The interval is specified in the
EXM.DuplicateProtectionInterval setting in the
.config file. The default value is 300 seconds.