In situations where you want to transfer contacts to Sitecore from a third party system (for example a CRM system) or where you have purchased a list of new leads from a marketing company, you can import these contacts from a CSV file directly into a list in the List Manager.
Similarly, if you want to transfer contacts from Sitecore to a third party system or create a backup of your contacts, you can export the contacts that are included in a list.
For Sitecore to recognize special characters in the CSV file it should be encoded in UTF-8. Furthermore, Sitecore only supports comma as a separator.
This topic outlines how to:
In the List Manager, there are two ways to import contacts:
- Import contacts to the contacts database.
- Import contacts and add them to a new Contact list.
To import new contacts:
- In the List Manager, click Create and in the menu that appears, in the Import new contacts section, click:
- Import contacts to database to import contacts from a CSV file to your Analytics database.
- Create list from file to import contacts from a CSV file and include the contacts in a new Contact list.
- In the Import Contacts wizard, on the Upload tab, click Browse for a CSV file.
- In the Open dialog box, click the CSV file with the new contacts and then click Open.
- Click Upload file and when the file has uploaded, click Next.
- On the Map tab, map the fields in the file with the fields available in Sitecore.
For each required Sitecore field, in the File field drop-down menu, select the equivalent field in the CSV file.
If you do not want to use the email address as the contact identifier, select the Manually map contact identifiers check box and then as the Identifier that appears, select the field in the import file that you want to use as the unique identifier for the contacts.
- When you have finished mapping the fields, click Next.
- On the Summary tab, make sure that the import settings are correct and then click Finish.
If you clicked Import contacts to database, the contacts are added to the database.
- If you clicked Create list from file, the new contact list opens with the imported contacts included. Rename the new list and click Save.
You can export contacts from either a Segmented list or a Contact list to a CSV file.
To export contacts from a list:
- In the List Manager, find and open the list that contains the contacts that you want to export.
- On the list page, click Actions and then click Export to a CSV file.
- Find the downloaded CSV file in your default download folder on your local computer.