Content management servers enable content editors to create and publish content to a website. It is possible to mix server features such as content delivery and content management together on the same server, or you could configure a single content management server. You could also have multiple content management servers, depending on your content editing needs.
Before you configure a content management server, consider the following recommendations:
- xDB analytics tracking – tracking contacts, personalization, goals, campaigns, and more can be relevant when creating a dedicated content management server but is not a requirement. You can enable tracking in both xDB and xManagement mode.
- Session state – always configure the sessions connection string unless you use the InProc mode for session state. You can use the InProc session provider because a content management server does not perform the same tasks as a content delivery server. A content management server should never be a part of a content delivery cluster.
- xDB Cloud configuration – if you are running xDB Cloud edition then configure your content management environment according to this topic and the instructions for configuring xDB Cloud.
Configure a content management server
To configure a content management server:
- Ensure that you have read the hardware guidelines for:
- Install a Sitecore instance using the Installing the Sitecore Experience Platform guide on the Sitecore Developer Portal website.
- Configure database connection strings. This topic contains a list of all database connection strings required for each server type.
Download the spreadsheet that lists of all the configuration files that you must enable or disable for each server type.
- For Sitecore 8.2, download the Config Enable Disable Excel spreadsheet for Sitecore 8.2 initial release.
- For Sitecore 8.2 Update 1, download the Config Enable Disable Excel spreadsheet for Sitecore 8.2 Update 1.
- For Sitecore 8.2 Update 2, Update 3, Update 4, and Update 5, download the Config Enable Disable Excel spreadsheet for Sitecore 8.2 Update 2-5.
- For Sitecore 8.2 Update 6, download the Config Enable Disable Excel spreadsheet for Sitecore 8.2 Update 6.
- Enable or disable the relevant files for a content management server.
- In the following configurations files, update each of the parameter values:
If you have multiple CM servers, give each a unique name, such as:
- Configure a search and indexing provider. This topic contains a list of links and other information you need to configure Lucene or Solr as your search and indexing provider.
- Disable the robot detection component on a content management server by following the steps in this topic. The robot detection component is not required on a content management server.
The configuration files required for the Content Testing, Experience Analytics, Experience Profile, Federated Experience Manager, List Management, and Social Connected applications are enabled by default.
There are additional optional steps for configuring a content management server: