In the Media Library, there are three different options to upload your media files:
- Upload files – use this option to upload a single file or multiple files from the same location.
- Upload files (advanced) – use this option to apply certain upload options. For example, you can upload a Zip archive or overwrite duplicates.
- Drag & Drop – use this option to upload a single file or multiple files by dragging them from Windows Explorer to the Sitecore Media Library.
The drag-and-drop functionality is currently only supported in Internet Explorer 7 or later. If you use a different browser such as Mozilla Firefox, you must use the Upload files and Upload files (advanced) options to upload your files to the Media Library.
Media files that you upload to the Media Library are not versionable by default. To make a media file versionable means that a new version of the media item is created automatically every time you edit it. In this way, after you have edited a media item, you have the option to revert back to an older version of the item. To make a media file versionable, you must either use the Upload files (advanced) option or set up the Drag & Drop option to make all media files that are uploaded that way versionable by default.
To upload a single media file:
- In the Media Library, in the content tree, select the folder where you want to upload your media files to.
- In the editing pane, on the Folder tab, click Upload files.
- In the Select file(s) to upload dialog box, browse to and select the media file that you want to upload and click Open.
In the editing pane, on the Folder tab and in the Media section, you can see the images that you uploaded. The new items may contain a warning that you can remove, if you open the media item and enter an alternate text in the Alt field.
Upload files (advanced)
To upload files and apply certain upload options:
- In the Media Library, in the content tree, select the folder that you want to upload your media files to.
- In the editing pane, on the Folder tab, click Upload files (advanced).
- In the Select file(s) to upload dialog box, browse to the folder on your computer that contains the images you want to upload.
- Click Open.
- In the Upload Files dialog box, enter an alternate text for each media file and select the relevant upload option check boxes.
Unpack ZIP archives
Select this option to upload and extract a Zip archive to the Media Library.
In the .zip file, you can include subfolders with files. The folder structure is re-created in the Media Library after the files are extracted.
Make uploaded media items versionable
Select this option to make the media file versionable. This creates the media file in the selected language only, and any other language version that you want you need to create manually.
Overwrite existing media items
Select this option to upload a file with the same name as a file that already exists in the Media Library, and want to overwrite the existing file.
If you do not select this option, a duplicate file is created in the Media Library.
Upload as files
Select this option to store the file in the file system rather than in the database.
- Click Upload and the uploaded images are available in the selected folder in the Media Library.
Drag & Drop
If you work in Internet Explorer 7 or later, the drag-and-drop option is the quickest and easiest way to upload media files to the Media Library. You can upload single or multiple files from your computer to the Drag & Drop dialog box. This is especially useful when you want to upload many files to different locations in Sitecore or from different locations on your computer.
To drag and drop files to the Media Library:
- In a Media Library, select the folder that you want to upload the files to.
- To open the Drag & Drop dialog box, from the editing pane, on the Folder tab, click Drag & Drop.
- Open Windows Explorer and navigate to the folder where the images are stored and select the images you want to upload.
- Position Windows Explorer next to the Drag & Drop dialog box and drag the selected images from Windows Explorer to the Drag & Drop dialog box.
- When you have dragged and dropped all your media files, click Done to copy them to the Media Library.
In the editing pane, on the Folder tab and in the Media section, you can now see the images that you uploaded and that each new item contains a warning.
- To remove these warnings, open each media item and enter the alternate text in the Alt field.
Make uploaded media files versionable by default
To make all the media files that you upload to the Drop & Drag dialog box versionable by default:
- Open the Sitecore
.configfile that is stored in the web root folder of your website:
- Right-click the Sitecore
.configfile, click Open With, and then click Notepad.
- Locate the following setting and change the value to True:
<setting name="Media.UploadAsVersionableByDefault" value="false" />
- Save your changes.
- Open the Media Library.
- Click the Sitecore system menu and then c
lick Application Options.
- In the Application Options dialog box, click the Media tab, and select the Show only latest version of files option.