Profile keys describe different aspects of your profiles. Profiles are categories that you define to track a contact’s behavior as they navigate through your website. You assign numerical profile values to your profile keys, then use profile values to track how contacts interact with the website.
Personas are profile keys that describe fictional characters that represent specific contact types within your target demographic. You can create profile cards to describe how personas typically interact with content on your website. You can use personas to implement personalization rules.
Sitecore has some predefined profiles that already have profile keys assigned to them. You can also create your own profile keys to describe aspects of your website that you would like to track.
To create a profile key or persona:
- In the Marketing Control Panel, expand the content tree and click Profiles.
- Select the profile you are interested in.
- On the Home tab, in the Insert group, select the Profile Key item.
- If you want to create a new persona, in the content tree, click Persona and then click Profile Key and type the name of your persona.
- Enter a name for the profile key and click OK.