Personalization enables you to deliver targeted content to your visitors. For example, you can implement rules that show personalized content to visitors based on their browsing behavior and their accumulated profile values.
In the Experience Editor, you can create rules to determine which content is shown to different site visitors. These are called personalization rules or conditional renderings.
You can create personalization rules that are based on many different criteria, including goals, campaigns, engagement value points, profile value points, and engagement plans. Your website responds to personalization rules in real-time by showing specific content, by hiding content, or by adjusting the behavior of a component.
This walkthrough outlines how to:
- Create a personalization rule
- Personalize the content
- Personalize the layout for the component
- View the Reach and Effect for all versions of a component
- Preview the personalized component
This example shows how to create a rule that determines when visitors see a link to download a brochure.
The website displays a link to download a brochure on every page except the Home page. The personalization rule specifies that the brochure link on the Our Services page is only displayed to visitors who have a lead score of 50 or more.
Create a personalization rule
To create a personalization rule, you specify the conditions that must be fulfilled, for example, to show a particular brochure to visitors who have a lead score of 50 or more.
Before you create a personalization rule, you need to have all the content that you want to associate with the personalization rule ready. If you also choose to change the layout of the personalized component, you need to have the relevant rendering items ready too.
To create a personalization rule:
- In the Experience Editor, click the View tab and in the Enable group, select Designing to enable the design functionality.
- Navigate to the page where you want to implement the personalization rule. In this example, you want to edit the Services page.
- In the sidebar, click the Want more information section, and in the floating toolbar that appears, click Create or edit personalization for this component .
- In the Personalize the component dialog box, click Add personalization rule .
- Give the new condition an appropriate name, for example, Only show brochure to leads.
Sitecore evaluates the personalization rules in the order that they appear in the Personalize the component dialog box. If the visitor does not satisfy the rule specified in a condition, Sitecore moves on to the next condition, and so on, until the visitor meets one of the conditions. The default condition is used if a visitor meets none of the other conditions.
- To define the conditions for the new component, click Edit rule and in the Create rule dialog box, in the Choose conditions field, select one or more conditions.
In this example, in the Search field, you enter the search word profile key and select the following condition:
“where the value of the specific profile key in the interaction profile compares to specific value”
- Edit the values in the condition. To do this, click on the links in the Edit rule field.
- The first link contains the words
where. If you click the link, Sitecore reverses the condition, alternating between
except when, or
- The second link contains the word
specific.Clicking this link will take you to a dialog box where you can select the item or profile that you want to use.
- Other links can include comparisons or numeric values. Clicking these links will take you to a dialog box where you can select from options relating to the link.
In this example, you want only visitors who have accumulated a lead score of 50 or more to see the brochure download link. In the Edit rule field, click specific and in the Select Profile Key dialog box, expand Score, and select Lead. Click OK.
- The first link contains the words
- To select a comparison for this rule, in the Edit rule field, click compares to. In the Select Comparison dialog box, select “is greater than or equal to” and click OK.
- To display the brochure download link on the Our Services page when the Lead profile score of the visitor is higher than 50, click specific value, enter 50, and then click OK. Click OK to close the Create rule dialog box.
The Personalize the component dialog box now looks like this:
Personalize the content
After you have created a personalization rule, you can specify the content that you want the page or component to display when the conditions in the rule are met. You can hide or show content, as well as adjust the behavior and presentation of a web control.
To hide or display content:
- In the Personalize the component dialog box, select Hide for the rule where you want to hide the content. In this example, you want to hide the component when the Default condition applies.
In this example, when a visitor comes to the Our Services page, they only see the Download the Office Core brochure link if they have a lead score of 50 or more. The Default condition state, which visitors see until their profile value is 50, hides the content.
- To display different content for a rule, in the Content field, click Browse .
- In the Select the Associated Content dialog box, navigate through the content tree or run a search for the item that you want to display when the conditions are met.
- When you have finished selecting the content for personalization, click OK.
- The website now shows personalized content based on the conditions in the personalization rule.
Personalize the layout for a component
You also can personalize the way a component is displayed on your webpage.
To personalize the layout of a component:
- In the Personalize the component dialog box, enable the Personalize the presentation of the component setting. This displays the Presentation field.
- In the Presentation field, click Browse and in the Select a Rendering dialog box, select the rendering that you want to use for the content that is associated with this personalization rule.
- In the Personalize the component dialog box, click OK.
View the Reach and Effect for all versions of a component
In the Personalize the component dialog box, you can view the Reach and Effect for each version of the component:
- The Reach indicates the percentage of visitors who met the condition, out of all visitors who viewed the component. If the rule is in an active test, it is calculated for the duration of the test. If the rule is not in an active test, it is calculated for the last 30 days.
- The Effect is calculated as the difference in percent between the trailing value per visit of the personalized experience and the default experience for the visitors who meet the condition.
For variants that have not been tested, the effect is shown as 0.
The effect for the Default variant is always 0 and therefore the Effect field is not displayed for the Default variant.
You can view the statistics for all personalized components on the current page in the Personalized experience dialog box.
Preview the personalized component
To preview personalized content, in the Experience Editor, click the component that you added personalization to. In the floating menu that appears, click the arrow to see the details about the current condition and to click another condition to view the other content that you have set up for the component.
In this example, if the visitor has a lead score of 50 or more, the component displays the brochures:
If the visitor has a lead score of less than 50, the brochures are hidden.
You must publish rules before you can use them on your website.