Experience Management (CMS-only mode) allows you to run Sitecore XP without the Experience Database (xDB) enabled or purchasing xDB licenses.
With Experience Management, you can use Sitecore to create, manage, and publish content to your websites.
To run Experience Management, you must have:
- Sitecore XP 8.1 or later
- SQL server
- A server environment that has a content management and a content delivery server.
- A valid Experience Management Sitecore license
Experience Management can also work in a single-instance configuration, when the instance acts as a content management and content delivery server.
To run Experience Management, you must set the
Xdb.enabled configuration setting to
false in the
Sitecore.Xdb.config configuration file.
xDB.enabled is set to
false, you do not have any access to the reporting or collection databases. Any functionality that depends on the xDB for data collection is not available and a number of applications in the Sitecore Experience Platform cannot run.
You can implement some in-session personalization rules, such as ones based on IP Geolocation, to provide personalized content to your contacts. You cannot, however, implement personalization rules based on historical data, like outcomes or past goals triggered, because the xDB stores that information.
With Experience Management, Sitecore XP applications and functionality can be described as:
- Fully compatible
- Compatible with limited functionality
The following features can run Experience Management without any changes:
- Content editing in the Experience Editor
- Device detection
- IP Geolocation detection
- Experience Explorer
Compatible with limited functionality
The following features can run Experience Management with limitations:
- Campaign Creator – runs without analytics functionality
- Commerce Connect – currently incompatible, but will run with limited functionality in future releases
- Personalization – in-session personalization works, while personalization based on historical data is unavailable
- Web Forms For Marketers – will provide a SQL solution in the future
The following features are incompatible with Experience Management:
- Content testing
- Email Experience Manager
- Experience Analytics
- Experience Profile
- List Manager
- Path Analyzer